The 29th Galliova Awards will honour food and health writers within the below categories:
Six awards worth a total of R115 000 will be presented this year. These include:
- Galliova Food Writer of the Year R25 000 (Print media – monthly & weekly magazines and newspapers)
- Galliova Health Writer of the Year R20 000 (Print media – monthly & weekly magazines and newspapers)
- Galliova Egg Champion R20 000 ((Print media – monthly, weekly magazines and newspapers - one award – health/food writers can enter)
- Galliova Broiler Champion R20 000 (Print media – monthly, weekly magazines and newspapers - one award – health/food writers can enter)
- Galliova Up and Coming Food/Health Writer of the Year R15 000 (Print media – monthly, weekly magazines and newspapers - one award – health/food writers can enter)
- Galliova Online Food/Health Writer of the Year R15 000 (Online media - one award – health/food writers can enter)
No runner up prizes will be awarded
Categories and criteria 2018
Galliova Food Writer of the Year (monthly & weekly print magazines/newspapers)
All South African monthly & weekly magazine and newspaper food writers are eligible to enter the Galliova Food Writer of the Year Award.
The food writers for this award need to show creativity, understanding of egg &/ chicken recipes and overall passion for food excellence in the entries. The following criteria will be taken into account for the food writers’ awards:
- Originality and consistency of articles and recipes
- Relevant and informed use of eggs &/ chicken in at least one of the articles – even if as part of recipe ingredients
- Factually correct, concise, relevant and understandable recipes
- Writing – clarity, communication, easy and enjoyable reading.
- Understanding and addressing specific target market needs.
- Visual appeal and layout of article.
Galliova Health Writer of the Year (monthly & weekly print magazines/newspapers)
Health media who have shown overall excellence in health writing, including understanding and informed referencing to eggs &/ chicken will be eligible to enter the Health Writer of the Year Award. This is open to monthly & weekly magazines and newspapers.
The following criteria will be taken into account for the health writers awards:
The following criteria will be taken into account for the health writers awards:
- Originality, creativity and innovation
- Scientific accuracy
- Objectivity & balance, perspective & angle of article
- Relevant and informed use of eggs &/chicken in at least one of the articles, linked to key health messages – even if as part of a recipe ingredients
- Contribution to contemporary debates and accessibility to target audience
- Sources consulted
Galliova Egg Champion (monthly & weekly print magazines/newspapers)
- The Galliova Egg Champion is awarded to the food writer that uses the most eggs, uses eggs in the most creative way and uses the most visually appealing egg-related visuals. The health writer entering the Galliova Egg Champion award will need to inform readers in an inspiring and innovative manner about the health benefits of eggs as part of a balanced diet.
- A minimum of one main egg feature will need to form part of the Egg Champion submission.
Galliova Broiler Champion(monthly & weekly print magazines/newspapers)
- The Galliova Broiler Champion is awarded to the food writer that uses the most chicken, uses chicken in the most creative way and uses the most visually appealing chicken-related visuals. The health writer entering the Galliova Broiler Champion award will need to inform readers in an inspiring and innovative manner about the health benefits of chicken as part of a balanced diet.
- A minimum of one main chicken feature will need to form part of the Broiler Champion submission.
Galliova Up and Coming Food/Health Writer of the Year (monthly & weekly print magazines/newspapers)
Media who have been in the industry, as a food/health writer, for a maximum of four years will be eligible to enter the Up and Coming Food/Health Writer of the Year. The up and coming food writer would need to show creativity, understanding of egg &/ chicken recipes and overall passion for food excellence. The up and coming health writer would need to provide information on the important role of eggs &/ chicken, the health benefits of eggs &/ chicken in the diet and general promotion of health and well-being. Please see criteria above.
Galliova Online Food/Health Writer of the Year (ABC verified online publications)
All South African online food/health writers from credible and established online publications are eligible to enter the Galliova Food Writer of the Year Award. These publications need to be at least a year old and hosted on their own domain. The criteria listed above for the Galliova Food and The Galliova Health Writer of the Year apply respectively to the Galliova Online Food/Health Writer of the Year category.
There is no entry fee.
Media may enter more than one category if they qualify according to the criteria
Entrants will be judged on the above set criteria and by a panel of judges. All food entries will be judged by a panel of six judges and health entries by two judges. The 2018 judging panel will be announced shortly. Entrants will be scored out of 100. Following the scoring process, the judges will meet in September to discuss scoring of the entries in order to ensure that the judging process is fair and transparent and to determine finalists.
Galliova Lunch Ceremony:
An invitation-only awards ceremony on 19th October 2018 to be held in Cape Town. Johannesburg finalists in the various categories will be advised by early October 2018 and will be flown to Cape Town for the day of the event.
- The competition is organised by the South African Poultry Association (SAPA)
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the competition, the decision of SAPA and the judges shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Should any of the above listed categories receive less than two entries, SAPA reserves the right to delete this category from the 2018 Galliova awards.
- By entering the competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. SAPA reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- A maximum of 12 articles are allowed per entrant.
- As the awards are sponsored by SAPA, entrants for the various awards should ensure that eggs &/ chicken are included in some of the articles as stipulated above to show that their publication has promoted eggs &/ chicken during this period.
- Although not a criteria, emphasis on locally produced chicken and eggs will be appreciated.
- All other submissions for other categories must include a minimum of two articles which make reference to eggs &/ chicken or include eggs &/ chicken in the recipes.
- Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the notes to entrants. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry. (Please take note of “Submitting your work” section.
- Entry forms need to be filled out, signed by all entrants and printed for inclusion with each entry. In the case of the online category the entry form must be filled in and pasted at the top of the entry document.
- In the case of the online category the entry form must be filled in and saved to each flash drive.
- Only final October magazine proofs will be accepted and checked against final print copies for authenticity. If there are inconsistencies between the proof and the print copy the entry will be discarded.
- Proof of courier cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. SAPA cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of postal or other strikes, server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside SAPA’s control.
- Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, SAPA does not accept responsibility for the return of any entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
- Winners will not be announced prior to the awards event.
- The judges reserve the right to move an entry into a different category if they deem it to be more appropriate.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes are awarded at SAPA’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, SAPA and/or the competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the competition if entries are not of the requisite standard.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and SAPA reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
Contact Lauren Anceriz or Glynnis Branthwaite at Protactic on 011 882 9272 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or require any additional information.