All health writers representing South African magazines, newspapers and credible online publications are eligible to enter the Galliova Health Writer of the Year Award.
Health media who have shown overall excellence in health writing, including understanding and informed referencing to eggs &/ chicken will be eligible to enter the Health Writer of the Year Award.
The following criteria will be taken into account for the health writers awards:
- Originality, creativity and innovation
- Scientific accuracy
- Objectivity & balance, perspective & angle of article
- Relevant and informed use of eggs &/ chicken in at least one of the articles, linked to key health messages – even if as part of recipe ingredients
- Contribution to contemporary debates and accessibility to target audience
- Sources consulted
Galliova Egg Champion
All food/health writers representing South African magazines, newspapers and credible online publications are eligible to enter the Galliova Egg Champion category.
- The food writer entering the Galliova Egg Champion will need to use the most eggs, use eggs in the most creative way and use the most visually appealing egg-related visuals.
- The health writer entering the Galliova Egg Champion award will need to inform readers in an inspiring and innovative manner about the health benefits of eggs as part of a balanced diet.
- A minimum of one main egg feature will need to form part of the Egg Champion submission – both food and health writers.
Galliova Broiler Champion
All food/health writers representing South African magazines, newspapers and credible online publications are eligible to enter the Galliova Broiler Champion category.
- The food writer entering the Galliova Broiler Champion will need to use the most chicken meat, use chicken meat in the most creative way and use the most visually appealing chicken-related visuals.
- The health writer entering the Galliova Broiler Champion award will need to inform readers in an inspiring and innovative manner about the health benefits of chicken meat as part of a balanced diet.
- A minimum of one main chicken feature will need to form part of the Broiler Champion submission – both food and health writers.
Galliova Up and Coming Food/Health Writer of the Year
Media who have been in the industry, as a food/health writer representing South African print and online publications, for a maximum of four years will be eligible to enter the Up & Coming Food/Health Writer of the Year.
The Up & Coming food writer would need to show creativity, understanding of egg &/ chicken meat recipes and overall passion for food excellence.
The Up & Coming health writer would need to provide information on the important role of eggs &/ chicken meat, the health benefits of eggs &/ chicken meat in the diet and general promotion of health and well- being.
Requirements per category
- Minimum 6 and maximum 12 articles per person will be accepted.
- Minimum of 4 full length articles plus two snippets or a maximum of 12 articles per person.
Food & Health Writers
- As the awards are sponsored by the South African Poultry Association, entrants who deliver exemplary work in promoting South African poultry products, will stand a greater chance of winning.
- In order to qualify for entry, all entrants will be required to make mention of eggs &/ chicken meat in at least one of the articles – even if as part of recipe ingredients. This applies for the categories: Food Writer, Health Writer and Up & Coming Writer.
- Submissions for the Egg Champion Award will be required to include at least one egg feature within the submission. This feature will need to highlight eggs and not only include eggs as an ingredient in recipes or just as a mention in an article.
- Submissions for the Broiler Champion Award will be required to include at least one chicken feature within the submission. This feature will need to highlight chicken meat and not only include chicken meat as an ingredient in recipes or just as a mention in an article.
- If there is more than one entrant from the same publication for the Egg and Broiler Champion Award, one egg/chicken feature published between November 2018 and October 2019, will need to be included in each entrants submission, even if it is by another contributor to show that the publication has promoted eggs/chicken during this period.
Submitting your work:
- Scan each page you wish to enter and save as a PDF.
- Save each page into folders titled according to publication name and date.
- Save all sub-folders into one main folder with your full name.
- For online articles include a Word document in date order with a publication heading and link to the article
- Complete and sign the entry form, scan and save as a PDF. This document to be included with submission.
- Submit your entry via a WeTransfer or Drop Box link to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no entry fee. Media may enter more than one category if they qualify according to the criteria
Entrants will be judged on the above set criteria and by a panel of judges. All food entries will be judged by a panel of six judges and health entries by two judges. The 2019 judging panel will be announced shortly. Entrants will be scored out of 100. Following the scoring process, the judges will meet in September to discuss scoring of the entries in order to ensure that the judging process is fair and transparent and to determine finalists. Please note that finalists will not be announced prior to the awards luncheon.
Galliova Lunch Ceremony:
An invitation-only awards ceremony on 18th October 2019 will be held in Cape Town. Johannesburg finalists in the various categories will be advised by early October 2019 and will be flown to Cape Town for the day of the event.
- The competition is organised by the South African Poultry Association (SAPA)
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the competition, the decision of SAPA and the judges shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Should any of the above listed categories receive less than two entries, SAPA reserves the right to delete this category from the 2019 Galliova awards.
- By entering the competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted is true, current and complete. SAPA reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- A maximum of 12 articles are allowed per entrant.
- As the awards are sponsored by SAPA, entrants for the various awards should ensure that eggs &/ chicken meat are included in some of the articles as stipulated above to show that their publication has promoted eggs &/ chicken meat during this period.
- Although not a criteria, emphasis on locally produced chicken meat and eggs will be appreciated.
- All other submissions for other categories must include a minimum of two articles which make reference to eggs &/ chicken meat or include eggs &/ chicken meat in the recipes.
- Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the notes to entrants. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry. (Please take note of “Submitting your work” section.
- Entry forms need to be filled out, signed by all entrants and scanned for inclusion with each entry.
- All submitted scanned articles will be checked against final print copies for authenticity.
- Only final October magazine proofs will be accepted and checked against final print copies for authenticity. If there are inconsistencies between the proof and the print copy the entry will be discarded.
- SAPA cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of load shedding, server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside SAPA’s control. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants will be notified via email once entries are received.
- Winners will not be announced prior to the awards event.
- The judges reserve the right to move an entry into a different category if they deem it to be more appropriate.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes are awarded at SAPA’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, SAPA and/or the competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the competition if entries are not of the requisite standard.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and SAPA reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
Contact Lauren Ancerizon 072 756 8463 or Glynnis Branthwaite on 082 557 3919 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries or require any additional information.